- The Ruins of Leiston Abbey
- Watercolor, pen and black ink, gouache, and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Contemporary drawn border: 9 3/4 x 12 3/8 inches (24.8 x 31.4 cm) and Sheet: 7 1/4 x 9 7/8 inches (18.4 x 25.1 cm)
Inscribed in black ink, lower center: "LEISTON ABBEY"
Signed and dated in pen and black ink, lower left: "Hearne 1781."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- abbey | arches | architectural subject | chickens | church | exploring | field | genre subject | gesturing | men | monastery | ruins | shadows | tourism | tourists | towers | trees | vines | women
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | Leiston | Leiston Abbey | Suffolk | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Hearne, 1744–1817, British, The Ruins of Leiston Abbey, 1781
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.