Thomas Hearne, 1744–1817, British, The Gateway of Lancaster Castle, ca. 1778
The Gateway of Lancaster Castle
- ca. 1778
- Watercolor, pen and black ink, gouache, and graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Contemporary drawn border: 7 5/8 x 10 1/2 inches (19.4 x 26.7 cm) and Sheet: 7 1/8 x 10 inches (18.1 x 25.4 cm)
Signed in pen and black ink, lower left: "Hearne"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arches | architectural subject | aristocracy | carriage | carts | castle | coats of arms | crest | driver | embattlements | flowers (plants) | gate | gateway | genre subject | horses (animals) | men | nobility | road | servants | towers | town | walking | weathervane | women
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | Lancashire | Lancaster | Lancaster castle | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.