Sarcophagus in a Church
- Additional Title(s):
Study of a Tomb
- May 10, 1806
- Gray and brown wash with pen and black ink over graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 7 3/4 × 7 1/8 inches (19.7 × 18.1 cm)
Inscribed in artist's hand in graphite: "U.L.: A; C.: E; C.R.: D"; in artist's hand in pen and black ink, within drawing: "C: sum. gd. eris fueramae. gd. es. pro. me. preco[illegible] sp/ he"
Signed in pen and black ink, lower right: "J. Kendal, Del. May 10 * 1806"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- church | interior | sarcophagus | skeleton
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
John Kendall, 1766–1829, British, Sarcophagus in a Church, May 10, 1806
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.