IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
John Kendall, 1766–1829, British, Sarcophagus in a Church, May 10, 1806
Sarcophagus in a Church
- Additional Title(s):
Study of a Tomb
- May 10, 1806
- Gray and brown wash with pen and black ink over graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 7 3/4 × 7 1/8 inches (19.7 × 18.1 cm)
Inscribed in artist's hand in graphite: "U.L.: A; C.: E; C.R.: D"; in artist's hand in pen and black ink, within drawing: "C: sum. gd. eris fueramae. gd. es. pro. me. preco[illegible] sp/ he"
Signed in pen and black ink, lower right: "J. Kendal, Del. May 10 * 1806"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | church | Gothic | interior | sarcophagus | skeleton
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.