- Landscape Set in an Oval (Mountain Landscape Through an Oval Window)
- ca. 1775
- Watercolor, with pen in gray ink, over graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream, laid paper, mounted on medium, moderately textured, beige, wove paper
- Mount: 18 1/2 × 23 1/2 inches (47 × 59.7 cm), Sheet: 14 7/8 × 21 1/4 inches (37.8 × 54 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 14 × 19 1/8 inches (35.6 × 48.6 cm), and Image: 12 1/4 × 17 3/4 inches (31.1 × 45.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on mount, lower left: "D1931/George Barret RA 1732 (or 1728)-1784 | LGD | C1775 a Study; based on the scenery of the Lake District, for the room painted by Barret for William Lock of Norbury | of the paper by Christopher Hussey in Country Life of Feb 17, 1934, on the Sandby Room at Drakelow & the Barret Room at Norbury. LGD"; inscribed in graphite, on mount, lower center: "G Barret"
Signed, in graphite, lower right: "G. Barrett"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
George Barret RA, ca. 1728/32–1784, Irish, Landscape Set in an Oval (Mountain Landscape Through an Oval Window), ca. 1775
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.