- A Collection of Surveys of Scottish Estates of the Earl of Selkirk: Torrs
- Graphite, watercolor, pen and brown and black ink on slightly textured, moderately thick, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 38 3/8 × 25 1/4 inches (97.5 × 64.1 cm)
In pen and black and brown ink, throughout, plots labeled "No 1" to "No 19" with dimensions, corresponding to key in pen and brown ink, lower right, labeled: "Contents" and containing dimensions of "Arable", "Meadow", "Moss", "Wood" and "Total" land; in pen and brown ink, lower right: "House & Garden" and dimensions, "Road" and dimensions, "Double hedge row at Balmae march" and dimensions, "&c &c between No.s 10 & 13" and dimensions, and "Rocks along the Coast 28"0'0'", "Hight of [?]Knockshinny above the level of the sea 376 feet"; in pen and brown ink, lower left, bar scale labeled: "Scale of Four Chains 40 to the Inch", numbered "0" to "40"; in graphite, throughout, plots labeled with dates; in graphite, upper center, chart of areas of a road and corresponding dimensions
Watermark:(similar to Shorter 53) E & P
Signed and dated in pen and brown ink, lower right: "Surveyed June 1808 John Brown"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
unknown artist, A Collection of Surveys of Scottish Estates of the Earl of Selkirk: Torrs, 1808
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.