The Daughters of Jerusalem Weeping by the Waters of Babylon
- Additional Title(s):
Eighth Station of the Cross
- Gray wash with pen and black ink on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper mounted on thick, smooth, cream card
- Mount: 6 5/16 x 8 inches (16 x 20.3 cm) and Sheet: 3 3/8 x 5 3/8 inches (8.6 x 13.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back of mount, upper left: "J 5383"; in black ink, on back of mount, upper center: "The Daughters of Jerusalem Weeping by the | Ruins of Babylon"; on back of mount, lower right: "by John Martin"; in graphite, on back of mount, lower right: "3"
Signed and dated in black ink, lower right: "J. M. 1834"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- buildings | cityscape | clouds | daughters | from Pilate's palace to Golgotha: the procession to Calvary (Matthew 27:31-33; Mark 15:20-22; Luke 23:26-33; John 19:17) | mourning | New Testament | river | temple | trees | women
- Associated Places:
- Asia | Babil | Babylon | Iraq
- Associated People:
- Jesus Christ (7-2 BC/BCE to 30-36 AD/CE)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
John Martin, 1789–1854, British, The Daughters of Jerusalem Weeping by the Waters of Babylon, 1834
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.