- The Walls of Jericho
- Gray and brown wash with pen and brown ink on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper mounted on thick, slightly textured, cream card
- Mount: 3 7/8 x 5 7/8 inches (9.8 x 14.9 cm) and Sheet: 3 7/16 x 5 7/16 inches (8.7 x 13.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on verso of mount, upper right: "Received in Dublin Exhib | from Mrs. Sotheby."; on back of mount, center: "John Martin | 136 Walls of Jericho fall down | Signed and dated 1834"; on back of mount, center right: "J 5382"; on back of mount, lower left: "89F"; on back of mount, lower center: "sepia L 3 1/2 W 5 1/2 | Exhibited Royal Dublin Society | Exhibition of Fine Arts"; on back of mount, lower right: "140"
Signed and dated in brown ink, lower right: "J. M. 1834"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- armed forces | battle | cityscape | clouds | crowd | gate | men | mountains | on the seventh day, at a signal from Joshua, the people start to shout and the walls of Jericho crumble | religious and mythological subject | shouting | smoke | walls
- Associated Places:
- Ad Daffah al Gharbiyah | Asia | Israel | Jericho
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
John Martin, 1789–1854, British, The Walls of Jericho, 1834
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.