Scarborough: Shipwreck at the Foot of the Castle Cliff
- ca. 1808
- Watercolor and graphite with scratching out on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 13/16 x 16 1/2in. (30 x 41.9cm) and Sheet: 11 7/8 × 16 1/2 inches (30.2 × 41.9 cm)
Inscribed on verso of mount in graphite, center: "Francis Nicholson Scarborough"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cliffs | harbor | historical subject | marine art | mountain | sea | ship | shipwreck | wall | waves (natural events)
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | North Yorkshire | Scarborough | Scarborough Castle | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Francis Nicholson, 1753–1844, British, Scarborough: Shipwreck at the Foot of the Castle Cliff, ca. 1808
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.