IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
John Nixon, ca. 1760–1818, British, On the Sands at Brighton: Figures Walking on the Shore, undated
On the Sands at Brighton: Figures Walking on the Shore
- Watercolor and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 5 3/4 × 9 inches (14.6 × 22.9 cm)
Inscribed on mount in pen black ink, center right: "59"; Inscribed on verso in graphite and pen and black ink, upper center: "Mrs. Barnard | Mrs. Long | Miss Osborn | Miss Bollond | B. Barnard | C. Clarke | Bushman | Gibson | Danvers | J Nixon | Long"; in graphite and pen and brown ink, upper right: "going to Embark | at Kingston | for a Water Party | to Oatlands"; lower left: "Device of a hand pointing left on the Sands Brighton | overleaf"; in graphite, lower center: "68"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bathing machines | beach | genre subject | landscape | ocean | people | sand | sea
- Associated Places:
- Brighton | East Sussex | England | Europe | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.