On the Sands at Brighton: Figures Walking on the Shore
- Watercolor and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 5 3/4 × 9 inches (14.6 × 22.9 cm)
Inscribed on mount in pen black ink, center right: "59"; Inscribed on verso in graphite and pen and black ink, upper center: "Mrs. Barnard | Mrs. Long | Miss Osborn | Miss Bollond | B. Barnard | C. Clarke | Bushman | Gibson | Danvers | J Nixon | Long"; in graphite and pen and brown ink, upper right: "going to Embark | at Kingston | for a Water Party | to Oatlands"; lower left: "Device of a hand pointing left on the Sands Brighton | overleaf"; in graphite, lower center: "68"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bathing machines | beach | genre subject | landscape | ocean | people | sand | sea
- Associated Places:
- Brighton | East Sussex | England | Europe | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
John Nixon, ca. 1760–1818, British, On the Sands at Brighton: Figures Walking on the Shore, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.