Portrait of John Saxby
- Brown wash and pen and brown ink on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 8 1/4 x 7 inches (21 x 17.8 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, upper left to upper right: "John Saxby Labourer in Sir Thos. Lee's | garden and clerk of Hartell parish | 1730 and after | by Mortimer"; in pen and brown ink, lower left: "Found at Hartwell, Buckinghamshire. | January 1846."
Paul Mellon collector's mark; watermark: Pro Patria (Similar to Heawood 3709); Crest
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- clerks | gardeners | laborers | men | portrait
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
attributed to John Hamilton Mortimer, 1740–1779, British, Portrait of John Saxby, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.