- Portrait of John Saxby
- Brown wash and pen and brown ink on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 8 1/4 x 7 inches (21 x 17.8 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, upper left to upper right: "John Saxby Labourer in Sir Thos. Lee's | garden and clerk of Hartell parish | 1730 and after | by Mortimer"; in pen and brown ink, lower left: "Found at Hartwell, Buckinghamshire. | January 1846."
Paul Mellon collector's mark; watermark: Pro Patria (Similar to Heawood 3709); Crest
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- clerks | gardeners | laborers | men | portrait
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
attributed to John Hamilton Mortimer, 1740–1779, British, Portrait of John Saxby, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.