Design for a Medal: Britannia Ruling the Waves
- Pen and black ink, over graphite, incised for transfer on medium, moderately textured, beige laid paper mounted on moderately thick slightly textured, cream laid paper, with gold leaf, watercolor, and pen with black and red ink, border lines
- 11 × 7 3/4 inches (27.9 × 19.7 cm), 4 5/8 × 4 1/4 inches (11.7 × 10.8 cm), and 3 1/2 × 3 inches (8.9 × 7.6 cm)
Inscribed in artist's hand, in reverse, in pen, with black ink, within circle, upper center: "SHE REPELLS WHAT SHE POINTS NOT"; inscribed in reverse, with pen in black ink, within circle, center: "BRITANNIA", inscribed in reverse, with pen in black ink, within circle, lower center: "GEOGE REIGING | MDCCXXXVI."; inscribed in pan with black ink, lower center: "SHE REPELLS WHAT SHE POINTS NOT. | GEORGE REIGING | M.DCC.XXXVI. | H. Gravelot inv. & delin."; Verso: inscribed in graphite, upper right: "68/12/20/57"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- allegory | design | medal | military art | ships | waves (natural events)
- Associated People:
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Hubert-François Gravelot, 1699–1773, French, active in Britain (1733–45), Design for a Medal: Britannia Ruling the Waves, 1736
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.