Design for Medal: Both Hands Fil'd for Britain
- Pen and black ink over graphite on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper, mounted on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper, with watercolor and pen, with black and red ink border lines
- Mount: 11 x 7 5/8 inches (27.9 x 19.4 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 2 5/8 × 2 5/8 inches (6.7 × 6.7 cm), and Sheet: 1 x 1 inches (2.5 x 2.5 cm)
Inscribed in pen with black ink, upper center: "BOTH HANDS FIL'D FOR BRITAIN"; Verso: inscribed in graphite, right center: "68/12/20/61"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- allegorical | design | emblem (allegorical picture) | female | genre subject | goddess | medal | spear
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Hubert-François Gravelot, 1699–1773, French, active in Britain (1733–45), Design for Medal: Both Hands Fil'd for Britain, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.