A Design for a Mural Executed in the Salon at Roehampton House, Surrey: Apollo Carrying off Aeneas in a Cloud
- ca. 1715
- Pen and brown ink with brown wash over graphite on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 5 1/2 x 6 inches (14 x 15.2 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, upper center: "Apoll: carrying off AEneas in a Cloud."; in pen and black ink, verso, center: "Barry."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | clouds | columns (architectural elements) | Corinthian (architectural style) | design | doors | murals | mythology | preparatory drawings | religious and mythological subject | salons
- Associated Places:
- England | Roehampton | Surrey | United Kingdom
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Sir James Thornhill, 1675–1734, British, A Design for a Mural Executed in the Salon at Roehampton House, Surrey: Apollo Carrying off Aeneas in a Cloud, ca. 1715
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.