Uncle George in the Dress of a Highland Herdsman
- Watercolor and graphite on medium, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 4 3/8 × 3 inches (11.1 × 7.6 cm)
Inscribed on mount in pen and black ink, lower center: "Uncle George, In the Dress of | A Highland Herdsman. | 42nd or Campbell Tartan [...] A Plaid of the Clan Alpin or McGregor."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- Balmoral (cap) | costume | costume (dress) | crook, shepherd's | figure study | genre subject | herdsman | Highland costume | jacket | kilt | portrait | sash (quilt component) | Scottish | stockings | tartan
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
George Walker, active 1792–died 1795, British, Uncle George in the Dress of a Highland Herdsman, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.