A Niche for Mr. Portman's House at Sherborne
- Additional Title(s):
Verso: Sketch of pillar and statue
- ca. 1720
- Pen and brown and black ink, with gray and brown wash over graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 9 7/8 x 10 1/8 inches (25.1 x 25.7 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, lower center: "Mr Portman. at Sh[er]borne | [inscription cut off]"; in pen and brown ink, verso, lower right: "Thornhill"; in graphite, verso, center: "good pl am[...] Sp[...] in Sherborn | in [ale] & Cyd[r] B Danby | nor above 60 [alehouses?] nei[...]"
Signed in pen and brown ink, verso, lower right: "Thornhill
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- columns (architectural elements) | Doric order | niches | shadows | shell | statues | urn | urns
- Associated Places:
- Dorset | England | Sherborne | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Sir James Thornhill, 1675–1734, British, A Niche for Mr. Portman's House at Sherborne, ca. 1720
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.