- The Birth of Venus
- Pen, brown ink, gray wash over graphite on moderately thick, smooth, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 7 1/4 x 5 7/8in. (18.4 x 14.9cm) and Mount: 8 1/8 x 6 5/8 inches (20.6 x 16.8 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, lower left: "J Bossani"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- (story of) Venus (Aphrodite) | angels | births | clouds | cupids | horses (animals) | mythology | religious and mythological subject | sea | wings
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Sir James Thornhill, 1675–1734, British, The Birth of Venus, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.