View of Shershah's Tomb at Sasaram in Bihar
- ca. 1779
- Watercolor, with pen, in brown ink, gray wash, and graphite on medium, moderately textured, cream, laid paper, mounted on, thick, moderately textured, cream, wove paper
- Mount: 24 1/16 × 33 inches (61.1 × 83.8 cm) and Sheet: 21 3/16 × 29 7/8 inches (53.8 × 75.9 cm)
Inscribed in pen, with brown ink, verso, center: "Feet in. | Demen'n of the dome 70.6 | Inner wall support'g | the dome } 15.6 thick | outer wall arcade 5.2 | Width of arcade within the walls } 19.6 | Ascent from the | basement to the upper | agllery by | 400 inches each have 12 to | 14 inches high"; inscribed in pen, with brown ink, verso, middle center: "Palmers letter | of 25 Aug. 177[9?]"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "J48"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | dome | figures | river | tomb
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Samuel Davis, 1757–1819, British, View of Shershah's Tomb at Sasaram in Bihar, ca. 1779
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.