Cobham Hall, Kent: Plan of Stables
- ca. 1790
- Materials & Techniques:
- Graphite, pen and black ink on two joined sheets of moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 34 x 34 inches (86.4 x 86.4 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, center: "The front D to be as the angles with the House | - all these new Build as from outside to outside of | the Walls to be alike"; in pen and brown ink, center left: "5 stalls", "7 Stalls", "These stables to be 6 ft lower than the stables in the | court", "from out to out of these | walls to be the same as the | Brewhouse", "The plinth on this side to be kept 3 fo lower than it is in the court", "window"; in pen and brown ink, left: "New Garden Wall"; in pen and brown ink, lower left, "angles a & b to range"; in pen and brown ink, lower left: "end of the present Brewhouse"; in pen and brown ink, lower left: "Present Brewhouse"; in pen and brown ink, upper left: "F"; in pen and brown ink, center, letters "E" and "D"; in pen and brown ink, lower right: "B", "C"; in pen and brown ink, right: "No 1", "South East | Tower of the | House"; in pen and brown ink and graphite, throughout, dimensions and calculations given; inscribed on verso in pen and brown ink, center: "NB | Plan of the Stables | Ld Darnley", in graphite, lower center: "(74/8/14/14) (93) | (IR 93)"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arches | architectural subject | barns | breweries | doors | horse barns | horse barns | horses (animals) | plans (drawings) | stairs | windows
- Associated Places:
- Cobham | Cobham Hall | England | Kent | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
James Wyatt, 1746–1813, British, Cobham Hall, Kent: Plan of Stables, ca. 1790
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.