- Cobham Hall, Kent: Ground Plan of Part of the Offices and New Passage
- Graphite, pen and black ink and gray wash on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 27 1/2 x 21 1/2 inches (69.9 x 54.6 cm)
Inscribed in pen and black ink, upper left: "Ground Plan of part of the Offices | and New passage - | Earl of Darnley"; in pen and black ink, center left: "The part coloured Red is all that is | intended to be built at present | The doors marked B and C to be Bricked up | and another made at D when his Lordship | chooses to build the terrace and finish the passage"; in pen and black ink, center: "Housekeepers Room | Still room | or | Waiting Room"; in pen and black ink, center; "old door | to be used"; in pen and black ink, lower center; "keep | same size | as the door | opposite"; in pen and black ink, lower center: "New Passage", "This is to be cut away", "Great Staircase"; in pen and black ink, lower right: "The staircase need not be | carried down because | his lordship does not | mean to have another | passage", in pen and black ink, lower right: "C. A Piece of Timber to support | the wall above | Great Drawing room", inscribed on verso in pen and black ink, upper left: "Ground Pl
Signed and dated in pen and black ink, upper left; "May 1798 J. Wyatt"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | drawing rooms | plans (drawings) | stairs
- Associated Places:
- Cobham | Cobham Hall | England | Kent | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
James Wyatt, 1746–1813, British, Cobham Hall, Kent: Ground Plan of Part of the Offices and New Passage, 1798
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.