The Monument of Thomas Fiennes
- Graphite, pen and black ink, watercolor within triple-ruled pen and wash border on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 25 1/4 × 18 1/4 inches (64.1 × 46.4 cm) and Image: 14 1/4 × 9 7/8 inches (36.2 × 25.1 cm)
Inscribed in pen and black ink, lower center: "The MONUMENT of THOMAS FIENNES Lord DACRE who died | the 25th of Henry 8th, & of Sir THOMAS FIENNES his eldest Son | who died in his Fathers lifetime. in the Church of Herstmonceaux in Sussex"; in graphite, lower right: "The details are very loosely | done & incorrect & not a | bit like Lambert of Grimm's | usual work. However the | inscription resembles that of | the earlier drawings & suggests | Lambert. He in fact does a | fine water-col. of the subject | for Lord Dacre."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | castle | church | grave | monument
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
James Lambert of Lewes, 1725–1788, British, The Monument of Thomas Fiennes, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.