The Monument of Thomas Fiennes
- Graphite, pen and black ink, watercolor within triple-ruled pen and wash border on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 25 1/4 × 18 1/4 inches (64.1 × 46.4 cm) and Image: 14 1/4 × 9 7/8 inches (36.2 × 25.1 cm)
Inscribed in pen and black ink, lower center: "The MONUMENT of THOMAS FIENNES Lord DACRE who died | the 25th of Henry 8th, & of Sir THOMAS FIENNES his eldest Son | who died in his Fathers lifetime. in the Church of Herstmonceaux in Sussex"; in graphite, lower right: "The details are very loosely | done & incorrect & not a | bit like Lambert of Grimm's | usual work. However the | inscription resembles that of | the earlier drawings & suggests | Lambert. He in fact does a | fine water-col. of the subject | for Lord Dacre."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | castle | church | grave | monument
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
James Lambert of Lewes, 1725–1788, British, The Monument of Thomas Fiennes, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.