Lowther House, Westmorland: Elevation of the Court Front
- Former Title(s):
Designs for a new house, proposed to be built in the second decade of the 18th century. Elevation of court front.
- between 1718 and 1729
- Graphite, pen and black ink, gray wash, within triple-ruled border on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper bar scale of 1/11 inch to 1 foot
- Sheet: 13 7/8 x 20 13/16 inches (35.2 x 52.9 cm)
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- country house | Palladian
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Colen Campbell, 1676–1729, British, Lowther House, Westmorland: Elevation of the Court Front, between 1718 and 1729
This is part of a set of four surviving drawings at the Yale Center for British Art showing Campbell’s proposal for rebuilding Lowther House for Henry Lowther, third Viscount Lonsdale (1694–1751) (see also B1977.14.1069–1072). The court front elevation shows a pedimented Corinthian portico in antis with office wings extending north being attached to the house via single-story linking passages. In typical Palladian fashion, the building has minimal ornament and is dominated by the large portico. These drawings for Lowther were probably made shortly after 1718, when a fire damaged much of the late seventeenth-century house's central block and west wing. Campbell's proposed building rests partly on the footprint of the original, arranged on a north-south axis and between long office wings. Colen Campbell was probably introduced to the third Viscount Londsdale by Richard Boyle, third Earl of Burlington (1694–1753), a leading figure of the Palladian movement and an important early patron of Campbell. Lord Burlington helped launch the architect's career with introductions to influential and wealthy patrons in London and the north. Campbell made an early attempt to gain Lonsdale's patronage in 1717, when he dedicated to him a design for minor alterations to Lowther House in volume II of Vitruvius Britannicus. The architect’s later design, as shown in the Center’s drawings, was for a more drastic reconstruction, suggesting that it was submitted after the house’s destructive fire. Despite the detailed proposals, Campbell’s designs for Lowther House were never executed. Unfortunately for Campbell, Lonsdale’s finances suffered greatly from the South Sea Bubble crisis in 1720. He sold off more than £26,000 in estates, and he never salvaged the fire-damaged house. In 1806, Lowther House was rebuilt as a castellated mansion designed by Robert Smirke.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.