Whitton House, Middlesex: Elevation of the East Front
- Former Title(s):
Design for Whitton House, Middlesex
- between 1732 and 1739
- Graphite, pen and black ink and gray wash on medium, slightly textured, beige wove paper to a scale of 1/10 inch to 1 foot
- Sheet: 12 x 16 5/16 inches (30.5 x 41.4 cm)
Inscribed in pen and black ink, lower center: "End Prospect of the House and offices Letter A"
Watermark: fleur-de-lis within crowned cartouche and W below
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- country house | exterior view
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | Middlesex | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Roger Morris, 1695–1749, British, Whitton House, Middlesex: Elevation of the East Front, between 1732 and 1739
This drawing is part of a set of designs for Whitton Place, Middlesex, a villa begun in 1731 by Roger Morris (see drawings B1977.14.1138–44). In 1722, Archibald Campbell, first Earl of Ilay, later third Duke of Argyll, acquired forty acres of Crown land at Whitton, a hamlet about eight miles west of London. An experienced gardener, Ilay cultivated the land with exotic trees and plants. He and his brother John, second Duke of Argyll, were active builders from 1714 and often turned to James Gibbs for their commissions, including the greenhouse and folly at Whitton. Rather than the Tory Gibbs, however, Ilay commissioned the Whig architect Roger Morris. The small house was built on a forty-five-foot square plan with small single-bay projections on each of the four walls. Contemporary reports describe the first floor as decorated in chinoiserie and the ground floor as a museum of curiosities. William Chambers lived at Whitton Place later in the century. The building was demolished in the mid-nineteenth century. The side elevation is part of a set of drawings for a five-bay, three story house with a slightly shouldered plan and flanking office wings. The side elevation of Whitton Place shows the house behind one of the office wings. The wing is composed of two single-story pavilions flanking a tower. The house’s principal floor, mezzanine, and attic story are shown in the elevation, the principal floor demarcated by windows with full architraves.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.