<< YCBA Home Yale Center for British Art Yale Center for British Art << YCBA Home

YCBA Collections Search

IIIF Actions
Roger Morris, 1695–1749

Whitton House, Middlesex: Mezzanine and Attic Floor Plans

Former Title(s):

Design for Whitton House, Middlesex

between 1732 and 1739
Graphite, pen and black ink and gray wash on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper
Sheet: 18 7/16 x 12 7/16 inches (46.8 x 31.6 cm)

Inscribed on verso in pen and black ink, lower center: "Mezzanin Story plan" and "Attic Story plan Letter A"; in pen and black ink, mezzanine labeled: "B Room" (twice), "B Room | 16-0 | By | 15-0" (twice), "Closet | 8-0 | By | 10-0"; attic story labeled in pen and black ink: "Corridore", "Closet | 10 Sqr", "B. Room | 15 Sqr" (twice), "Room | 10-0 | By | 8-0" (twice), "bed" (twice), "Gallerie | 40-0 | By | 16-0"

Watermark: fleur-de-lis within crowned cartouche and W below

Credit Line:
Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
Copyright Status:
Public Domain
Accession Number:
Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
Prints and Drawings
Subject Terms:
architectural subject | attic (interior space) | country houses | floor plan | interior view | mezzanine
Associated Places:
England | Europe | Middlesex | United Kingdom
Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
IIIF Manifest:

This drawing is part of a set of designs for Whitton Place, Middlesex, a villa begun in 1731 by Roger Morris (see drawings B1977.14.1138–44). In 1722, Archibald Campbell, first Earl of Ilay, later third Duke of Argyll, acquired forty acres of Crown land at Whitton, a hamlet about eight miles west of London. An experienced gardener, Ilay cultivated the land with exotic trees and plants. He and his brother John, second Duke of Argyll, were active builders from 1714 and often turned to James Gibbs for their commissions, including the greenhouse and folly at Whitton. Rather than the Tory Gibbs, however, Ilay commissioned the Whig architect Roger Morris. The small house was built on a forty-five-foot square plan with small single-bay projections on each of the four walls. Contemporary reports describe the first floor as decorated in chinoiserie and the ground floor as a museum of curiosities. William Chambers lived at Whitton Place later in the century. The building was demolished in the mid-nineteenth century.
The mezzanine and attic floor plans are part of a set of drawings for a five-bay, three story house with a slightly shouldered plan and flanking office wings. The great room rises up from the first floor to occupy part of the mezzanine story. The attic has a gallery measuring forty feet; a stair at the center of the plan leads to the cupola at the apex of the roof overhead. Both floors have two bedroom suites on the north side overlooking the court front and smaller bedrooms at the corners of the building to the south.

Madeleine Helmer, 2014

If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.