A Design for a Ceiling
- Pen and brown ink, brown wash and graphite on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper mounted on thick wove paper.
- Sheet: 16 x 8 1/8 inches (40.6 x 20.6 cm) and Mount: 21 1/8 x 12 7/8 inches (53.7 x 32.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "[...]nding Olympus"
Collector's mark: "W"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- angels | architectural subject | Corinthian (architectural style) | Corinthian order | cupids | men | musical instruments | nudes | organology | religious and mythological subject | women
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Sir James Thornhill, 1675–1734, British, A Design for a Ceiling, undated