Sir James Thornhill, 1675–1734, British, A Design for a Ceiling, undated
A Design for a Ceiling
- Pen and brown ink, brown wash and graphite on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper mounted on thick wove paper.
- Sheet: 16 x 8 1/8 inches (40.6 x 20.6 cm) and Mount: 21 1/8 x 12 7/8 inches (53.7 x 32.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "[...]nding Olympus"
Collector's mark: "W"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- angels | architectural subject | Corinthian (architectural style) | Corinthian order | cupids | men | musical instruments | nudes | organology | religious and mythological subject | women
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.