- The Spoiled Child, Scene I
- ca. 1802
- Watercolor with black ink and gray wash over graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 15 3/8 × 20 1/8 inches (39 × 51.1 cm) and Image: 13 1/2 × 19 3/8 inches (34.3 × 49.2 cm)
Multiple inscriptions in black ink throughout image, including lower left, on chair: "For the Benefit | of mr. Lutestring | In a short Time | will be represented | the Tragedy | of the | DISIREST[?] MOTHER | [...] Entertainmt. | of the | SPOILD CHILD | further particulars | in due Time"; within image, center, in piano: "I. OCTAVE | fecit | 1802"; in black ink, lower left: "L Vaslet invt. et fecit"; lower center: "THE SPOIL'D CHILD | being Scene; 1st Exhibiting the fatal effects of unbounded Parental fondness. | Comprehended in Six separate representations of equal Size"; lower right: "Figures Ideal | In ease and Affluence see the blissfull Pair, | Their cherish'd Offspring their peculiar care: | Unconscious of this changefull Scene of life | So soon to shift to Woe and bitter Strife!"; in graphite, on back of mount, center: "VASLET LEWIS | The Spoiled Child Scene I | one of a set of six"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- alcohol | books | boy | breeches (trousers) | chairs | clock | costume | cross (object) | daughter | dogs (animals) | father | frill | genre subject | girl | gloves | gowns | humor | interior | judge | monkey (animal) | mother | paintings | papers | performer | piano | rams (animals) | rosary | satire | servant | sheep | sheet music | smiling | statue | tables | tail coats | tea kettle | tea party | tea tray | tea urn | teacups | top hat | wig
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Lewis Vaslet, 1742–1808, British, The Spoiled Child, Scene I, ca. 1802
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.