- The Spoiled Child, Scene II
- ca. 1802
- Watercolor with black ink and gray wash over graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 15 3/8 x 20 3/8 inches (39.1 x 51.8 cm) and Image: 13 7/16 x 19 1/8 inches (34.1 x 48.6 cm)
Multiple inscriptions in black ink throughout image; inscribed in black ink, lower center: "Scene 2d. of the Spoil'd Child | Rebellious Child, of Pleasure still the Slave, | Your Father scarce a fortnight in his Grave! | Submit, be still, turn off your irish Beau- | I wont _ and to the ball I vow I'll go."; in graphite, on back of mount, center: "VASLET, LOUIS | The Spoiled Child"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- ball (party) | bed (furniture) | bedroom | birdcage | bonnets | books | bottles | canopy | cats | chairs | death | devil | dog (animal) | fireplace | fishing | genre subject | gesture | girl | gowns | grief | humor | ink bottle | interior | jewelry | jug | laundry | letters | mirrors | mourners | mourning | papers | pointing | potions | quill | reading | satire | stools | tables | tea kettle | undressing | vanity | wardrobe | washbowl | widow | women
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Lewis Vaslet, 1742–1808, British, The Spoiled Child, Scene II, ca. 1802
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.