IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
attributed to Benjamin West, 1738–1820, American, active in Britain (from 1763), Margate, 1767
- Black chalk on medium, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 14 x 21 3/8 inches (35.6 x 54.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Margate 1767"; Verso: inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Margate 17", inscribed in green pigmnent, upper left: "360"
411- 1766 - EH - London print, w/m of Lubertus van Gerrevink. p. 306 of Watermarks in Paper, by W.A. Churchill.
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- buildings | carriages | chimney | cityscape | figures | harbor | horses (animals) | men | sailboats | sails | wagons | wheels | women | wood
- Associated Places:
- England | Kent | Margate | Thanet, Isle of | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.