The Watermill Above the Bridge at Charenton
- Additional Title(s):
Le moulin à eau au-dessus du pont de Charenton
- Aquatint on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 8 9/16 x 13 7/16 inches (21.8 x 34.1 cm), Plate: 8 1/16 x 13 inches (20.4 x 33 cm), and Image: 6 1/8 x 11 1/16 inches (15.5 x 28.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "R91"; on back, upper left: "T. Girtin in B. M. | (L. B. 21) | LCQ. in 1855"; in black ink, on back, lower right: "narrow ravine(?)"
Lettered in brown ink, lower left: "Drawn & Etch'd by Thos. Girtin. | The WATER MILL above the Bridge | AT CHARENTON. | SUB PRINT"; lower center: "LONDON: Pub. January 1. 1803 by J. GIRTIN, No. 1, Little Newport Street, Gerrard Street, SOHO."; lower right: "Aquatinted by F. C. Lewis. | Le MOULIN À EAU au dessous du pont | DE CHARENTON | 20"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | boats | bridge (built work) | buildings | cottages | houses | landscape | river | water mill
- Associated Places:
- Charenton-le-Pont | Europe | France | Marne | Paris | Pont de Charenton-le-Pont | Val-de-Marne | Île-de-France
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Girtin, (etching), 1775–1802, British, The Watermill Above the Bridge at Charenton, 1803
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.