A Castle Above an Estuary
- ca. 1831
- Materials & Techniques:
- Watercolor, goauche, and graphite on medium, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 5/16 x 16 3/8 inches (28.7 x 41.6 cm), Image: 4 11/16 x 10 1/2 inches (11.9 x 26.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "D385/ W.J. Müller 1812-1845 (underlined) | Watermark 1831. An early drawing c1832. | Müller had become acquainted in 1831, through the | Rev James Bulwer of Chifton(?), with Cotman's Drawings | -see C. F. Bell's monographs on M. E.(?) Cotman in | Walker's Quarterlies. | LGD"; in graphite, lower right: "No.150"; on back, lower center: "D385 W.J. Müller 1812-1845 (underlined) | watermark 1831 | LGD | The influence of Cotman in this Drawing is very strong. | Müller had become acquainted, c.1830-31, with the Drawings | of J.S. Cotman - see C.F. Bell's monographs on M. E.(?) Cotman in | Walker's Quarterly No 21 - p.14."
watermarked: "ATMAN 1831"
Signed in brown ink, lower center: "Muller"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- castle | estuary | figure | hills | landscape | path | road | sailboats | walking
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
William James Muller, 1812–1845, British, A Castle Above an Estuary, ca. 1831
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.