A Castle Above an Estuary
- ca. 1831
- Watercolor, goauche, and graphite on medium, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 5/16 x 16 3/8 inches (28.7 x 41.6 cm) and Image: 4 11/16 x 10 1/2 inches (11.9 x 26.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "D385/ W.J. Müller 1812-1845 (underlined) | Watermark 1831. An early drawing c1832. | Müller had become acquainted in 1831, through the | Rev James Bulwer of Chifton(?), with Cotman's Drawings | -see C. F. Bell's monographs on M. E.(?) Cotman in | Walker's Quarterlies. | LGD"; in graphite, lower right: "No.150"; on back, lower center: "D385 W.J. Müller 1812-1845 (underlined) | watermark 1831 | LGD | The influence of Cotman in this Drawing is very strong. | Müller had become acquainted, c.1830-31, with the Drawings | of J.S. Cotman - see C.F. Bell's monographs on M. E.(?) Cotman in | Walker's Quarterly No 21 - p.14."
watermarked: "ATMAN 1831"
Signed in brown ink, lower center: "Muller"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- castle | estuary | figure | hills | landscape | path | road | sailboats | walking
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
William James Muller, 1812–1845, British, A Castle Above an Estuary, ca. 1831
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.