- Classic Composition
- ca. 1800
- Watercolor and graphite on thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 6 1/16 x 4 9/16 inches (15.4 x 11.6 cm)
Inscribed in green ink, on sheet attached to mount, lower center: "Exh: South London Art Gallery, 'English Landscape', | 1957, Carke(?) 76."; in blue ink, on sheet attached to mount, lower center: "Elon | 180 30 | Exh: Eton College | 1948"; in brown ink, on sheet attached to mount, lower center: "John Varley 1778-1842. | D261. | Near Skipton, Yorkshire. Signed. | From the collections of the Dowager Viscountess | Downe and of Colonel J. B. Gaskell. | An early drawing showing the influence of Girtin | and possibly of Cotman. LGW."
signed in graphite, lower left: "J.Varley"; not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- castle | Classical | genre subject | hills | landscape | mountains | rocks (landforms) | sheep | shepherd | staff | trees | valleys
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
John Varley, 1778–1842, British, Classic Composition, ca. 1800
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.