- ca. 1800
- Watercolor and graphite on thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 6 1/16 x 4 9/16 inches (15.4 x 11.6 cm)
Inscribed in green ink, on sheet attached to mount, lower center: "Exh: South London Art Gallery, 'English Landscape', | 1957, Carke(?) 76."; in blue ink, on sheet attached to mount, lower center: "Elon | 180 30 | Exh: Eton College | 1948"; in brown ink, on sheet attached to mount, lower center: "John Varley 1778-1842. | D261. | Near Skipton, Yorkshire. Signed. | From the collections of the Dowager Viscountess | Downe and of Colonel J. B. Gaskell. | An early drawing showing the influence of Girtin | and possibly of Cotman. LGW."
signed in graphite, lower left: "J.Varley"; not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- castle | Classical | genre subject | hills | landscape | mountains | rocks (landforms) | sheep | shepherd | staff | trees | valleys
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
John Varley, 1778–1842, British, Classic Composition, ca. 1800
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.