Shopping in the Rows, Chester
- Additional Title(s):
- Watercolor with brown wash and brown ink over graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper, mounted on thick, slightly textured, beige card
- Mount: 7 1/2 x 9 3/8 inches (19.1 x 23.8 cm) and Sheet: 7 × 8 3/4 inches (17.8 × 22.3 cm)
Inscribed in blue and green ink, on sheet attached to mat, lower center: "D 1880 | Sir David Wilkie RA. 1785-1841. | Shopping in the Rows, Chester. 1837. | Exh: South London Art Gallery, 1951, Cat No 77. | LGD"; in gray ink, on sheet attached to mount, lower right: "Sir David Wilkie | Chester 19th Septr 1837"
Signed in brown ink, lower right: "D Wilkie Chester 19th Septb | 1837"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- figures | genre subject | market (event) | men | merchants | shopping | shops | tables | vendors | violin | walkways | women
- Associated Places:
- Cheshire | Chester | Chester Rows | England | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Sir David Wilkie, 1785–1841, British, Shopping in the Rows, Chester, 1837
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.