Halfway House, Sadler's Wells
- Former Title(s):
- Additional Title(s):
- Gouache, watercolor, pen and black ink with varnish on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 10 1/2 x 11 inches (26.7 x 27.9 cm) and Mount: 11 3/8 x 11 1/2 inches (28.9 x 29.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, on mount, upper left: "62/5/26/13 | LGD"; in graphite, verso, lower left: "10"; in graphite, verso, lower center: "'A30 | Halfway House Saddler Wells"; in brown ink, verso, lower center: "body color drawing by 'Paul Sandby' | born in Nottingham in 1732. At the age of 14 he became a student | [...]"; in graphite, verso, lower right: "180"
Signed in white gouache, lower right: "Paul Sandby RA | 1789"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | bridge (built work) | dogs (animals) | halfway houses | horse (animal) | house | ladder | landscape | laundry | trees
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
A loan exhibition of English drawings and watercolours from the collection of Mr and Mrs Paul Mellon of Upperville, Virginia, P. & D. Colnaghi & Co., London, 1964, cat. no. 10, N5247.M385 L62 (YCBA)
An exhibition of English drawings and water colors from the collection of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, February 18-April 1, 1962, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1962, p. 42, cat. no. 74, NC228 U6 (YCBA) Copy 2 is on Mellon Shelf
Painting in England 1700-1850, collection of Mr. & Mrs. Paul Mellon. , Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, VA, 1963, p. 63, no. 70, ND466 V57 v.1-2 (YCBA)
Yale University Art Gallery, English drawings and watercolors, from the collection of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, April 15 - June 20, 1965 , New Haven, 1965, cat. no. 10, NC228 Y34 (YCBA)