Iron Forge on the River Kent, Westmorland
- Watercolor, gouache, and graphite on medium, slightly textured , cream laid paper
- Sheet: 10 3/4 x 11 1/8 inches (27.3 x 28.3 cm) and Mount: 11 3/8 x 11 3/4 inches (28.9 x 29.8 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, verso, upper center: "From Forge on the River Kent. | 5 1/2 miles to the South fo Kendale"; in graphite, verso, lower center: "D3476 Paul Sandby RA 1725-1809 | 'Iron forge on the River Kent 5 miles | south of Kendale' Inscbribed accordingly on | recto & [...] by the artist | Coll: William Sandby; GJA Peake; Hubert Peake | (all Descendents of Thomas & Paul Sandby) | LGD"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | children | family | forge | iron | landscape | river | smithies | smoke
- Associated Places:
- Cumbria | England | Europe | Kent | United Kingdom | Westmorland
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Paul Sandby RA, 1731–1809, British, Iron Forge on the River Kent, Westmorland, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.