Fishing Cove near Columbo
- Watercolor on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet (cropped to image): 14 13/16 x 19 5/16 inches (37.7 x 49 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "Fishing Cove near Columbo"; on back, lower right: "54 (encircled)"; on back of mount, on attached sheet, center: "D3554/ | William Hodges RA 1744-1797 | fishing cove near Columbo. Now the site of a | fashionable hotel. 1780. | [...] | NOT by Hodges. See DFS note on back of mat g D.3555"; on back of mount, lower center: "English School | Fishing Cove near Columbo (D.3554)"
unidentified collector's stamp, in purple ink, on back, lower left: circle with illegible letters around perimeter; crest in middle
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- beach | canoes | clouds | coastline | cove | fishing | genre subject | harbor | hills | huts | landscape | loincloths | masts | men | sailboats | sails | sash | shore (landform) | turbans
- Associated Places:
- Asia | Colombo | Sri Lanka | Western Province
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.