The Castle at Dieppe, Normandy
- Pen and black ink and watercolor on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper, pasted on contemporary mount made of thick, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- Mount: 16 11/16 x 21 3/4 inches (42.4 x 55.3 cm) and Sheet (cropped to image): 13 11/16 x 18 11/16 inches (34.7 x 47.4 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, lower center: "The Castle of Dieppe in Normandy"; in graphite, on back, lower right: "208 (encircled)"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- aqueduct | arches | architectural subject | armed forces | bayonet | beggar | buildings | cart | castle | costume | ditch | genre subject | Grand Tour | guard | labor | men | peasants | priest | pulled rickshaw | pulling | pushing | sash | transportation | uniform | wall
- Associated Places:
- Château de Dieppe | Dieppe | France | Haute-Normandie | Seine-Maritime, Département de la
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
John William Upham, 1772–1828, The Castle at Dieppe, Normandy, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.