- Graphite and gray wash on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 9 1/4 × 12 7/8 inches (23.5 × 32.7 cm)
Inscribed on verso in pen and black ink, upper left: "[...] Castle July 14 1775 / | [...]"; in graphite, upper right: "15/ -"; in graphite, upper right: "Bridgenorth Bridge with the gatehouse | the [...] wheel is the SEROCOLD wheel which [...] is [...] from the [...] to the | High Tower on the cliff. In the background is the High Rock."; in graphite, upper right: "probably Peter Rashleigh | I.F--N"; in graphite, center right: "by a [...] | [...]"; in graphite, lower right: "Wales" (crossed out); in graphite, lower right: "143(10)"
Collector's mark, verso: Paul Mellon
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arches | architectural subject | bridge (built work) | cityscape | river | riverbank
- Associated Places:
- Bridgnorth | England | Shropshire | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Attributed to Peter Rashleigh, active 1775, Bridgenorth Bridge, 1775
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.