IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Sir James Thornhill, 1675–1734, British, Design for a decoration incorporating motifs allusive to the Arts, Arms, and Religion, undated
Design for a decoration incorporating motifs allusive to the Arts, Arms, and Religion
- Pen and brown ink with brown wash over graphite on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 6 3/4 x 14 3/8 inches (17.1 x 36.5 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, upper right: "P[eo]ple [fair] [of] | rich Habi[ts] of | several colours."; pen and brown ink, lower center to lower right: "Europe, Arms, Arts, Pallats & Pencils, | Harps, Scepters, Crowns, Cornucopias of Grain, & Grapes, red & white; | Temples, Musick,"; pen and brown ink, lower center: "Religion Arts & Arms."; in graphite, lower right: "[...] [Sr] James Thornhill"
Paul Mellon's collector stamp on verso
Signed in graphite, lower right: "[...] [Sr] James Thornhill"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- allegory | architectural subject | armor | arts | bird | books | breastplate (body armor) | cornucopias (motifs) | crowns (costume components) | grain (seed) | grapes | harps (chordophones) | helmet | music | palette | pencils | religion | scepters | shield (armor) | spears (weapons) | temples | Weapons and Ammunition
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.