Lamb and Oxen in a Pastoral Landscape
- Watercolor, graphite, and pen and black ink on medium slightly textured beige wove paper
- Sheet: 5 7/8 x 5 1/2 inches (14.9 x 14 cm)
Inscribed on back in black ink center: "Colnaghi, from whom I bought this drawing, said that they had got it from an old lady who had inherited it, with a lot of Blake and Calvert wood-cuts; they gave it to Samuel Palmer - J-E.Courisky- | 1940 | The oxen in this drawing are so like those in Calvert's woodcut, 'The Cyder Press", that it may be by him - | J.E.C. 1942"
Collector’s mark: T. E. Lowinsky (Lugt 2420a)
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- grazing | lambs | landscape | oxen | pastoral
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Attributed to Edward Calvert, 1799–1883, British, Lamb and Oxen in a Pastoral Landscape, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.