- Watercolor and gouache and scraping out with some varnish over graphite on medium, slightly textured, brown wove paper
- Sheet: 7 3/8 x 10 5/8 inches (18.7 x 27 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower center: " The Park seen through mist rather deeper in proportion to the town seen through mist -- The mist though, softer than this | at the upper edge yet wreathing up rather more Cloud like -- The chalk stone intensely bright yet warm | The grass and herbage about it though also blazing in light - was very dark in local color | compared with the chalk -- The whole effect was warm -- The mist was receiving | warm glowing light -- The sunny town glowing through the haze was very beautiful | the gradation of the tender Ultramarinish sky was more vibratory -- | 5 Guildford 1844"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- landscape | rocks (landforms) | tower (building division) | tree
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | Guildford | Surrey | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), Guildford, 1844
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.