Joshua Commanding the Sun to Stand Still
- Graphite, brown wash, scratching out and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 16 × 24 1/8 inches (40.6 × 61.3 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, lower right: "John Martin: Joshua Commanding The Sun"
Signed and dated in pen and brown ink, lower left: "J Martin 1818"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- army | by night Joshua and his army come to the rescue of Gibeon | clouds | landscape | night | pyramid (tomb) | religious and mythological subject | sun
- Associated Places:
- Al-Jib | Israel
- Associated People:
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
John Martin, 1789–1854, British, Joshua Commanding the Sun to Stand Still, 1818
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.