- Joshua Commanding the Sun to Stand Still
- Graphite, brown wash, scratching out and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 16 × 24 1/8 inches (40.6 × 61.3 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, lower right: "John Martin: Joshua Commanding The Sun"
Signed and dated in pen and brown ink, lower left: "J Martin 1818"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- army | by night Joshua and his army come to the rescue of Gibeon | clouds | landscape | night | pyramid (tomb) | religious and mythological subject | sun
- Associated Places:
- Al-Jib | Israel
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
John Martin, 1789–1854, British, Joshua Commanding the Sun to Stand Still, 1818
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.