- Part Of:
Collective Title: 'The Copper-Plate Magazine' and 'The Itinerant,' 1794-1798
- Etching and line engraving, with hand coloring in watercolor; 2nd. published state on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 19 5/8 × 11 3/4 inches (49.8 × 29.8 cm), Plate: 5 7/8 × 7 7/8 inches (14.9 × 20 cm), Image: 4 3/8 × 6 1/2 inches (11.1 × 16.5 cm)
Watermark: "LEPARD 1 7"; collector's mark: W. G. Rawlinson (Lugt 2624)
Lettered upper left (above image): "The Itinerant"; lettered, upper right (above image): "NORTHMAPTONSHIRE"; lettered, lower left (below image): "Engraved by J.Walker, from an Original Drawing by W.Turner."; lettered, lower right (below image): "Published May 1st; 1796 by J. Walker No.16, Rosomans Street, London."; lettered, lower center: "PETERBOROUGH. | PETERBOROUGH | IS a small city in the County of Northampton, on the river Nen, 81 miles N.W. from London, In this Place (then | a village called Medeshamsted) Wolphere, King of Mercia, A.D. 655, laid the foundation of a stately monastery, dedi- | cated to St. Peter, which, after his death, was carried on by his brothers Penda and Ethelred, and their two sisters | Kinaburgha and Kineswith. In this monastery the Abbot of Croyland and his monks, flying for refuge from the Danes | in the year 870, were overtaken and murdered in a court, afterwards called the Monks' Church-yard, on account of | their having been all interred there, and to this day may be seen the tomb-stone, with the effigies, which was errected | over their common grave. In the Danish desolations, however, their building was demolished, its inhabitants destroyed, | and it lay in ruins for above 100 years when it was restored in greater beauty by Ethelwold Bishop of Winchester, with | the assistance of King Edgar, and of his Chancellor Adulph, who became abbot of it. Thus it continued an abbey - | church till the Dissolution, when Henry VIII. made the village a city, the abbot a bishop, and the monastery a cathedral, | with a chapter, consisting of a dean and fix prebendaries, who are lords of the manor, and elect all city officers. | Though formerly in the diocese of Lincoln, it now became a diocese of itself, comprosing the counties of Northhampton | and Rutland. | PETERBOROUGH has one parish church beside the Cathedral, which is a most noble Gothic fabric, and was much more | so before it was defaced in the Civil Wars. The west front, which is 156 feet in breadth, is Supported by three of the | tallest arches in England, and is particularly to be admired for its column-work. The Cloister is large, and the windows | stained with scripture-history, the history of Wolphere the founder, and the succession of its abbots. | In the Cathedral is a memorandum of one John Scarlet, the Sexton, who interred Queen Catherine, wife of Henry VIII. | and 50 years afterwards, Mary Queen of Scots. He lived 95 years, and is recorded as having buried the whole parish | twice over. | The city is governed by a mayor, recorder, and alderman, by a charter of Henry VIII. dated September 4, 1541, | and sends two members to Parliament. The present representatives (1797) are, Richard Benyon, Esq. and the Hon. | Lionel Damer. | After the town of PETERBOROUGH became a city, it was dignified with the title of an earldom in the person of John | Lord Mordaunt, created Earl of Peterborough by Charles I. 1627. This title still remains in the family of the Mor- | daunts, who are Earls both Peterborough and Monmouth.| As a bishopric PETERBOROUGH is the poorest, as a city the smallest, though as a town one of the oldest in England. | the river Nen, over which it has a wooden bridge, is navigable to it by barges, which bring coal, corn, &c. The | air is said to have been formerly unwholesome on account of its vicinity to the fens, but these having lately been drained, | a better circulation of air has been procurred, and the country, of course, rendered more salubrious. | The streets are well built, and there is a handsome market-house, over which are held the assizes and sessions. The | market is on Saturday, and the fairs for horses held on the 10th of July and the 2d of October."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cathedral | distant view | horse | house | landscape | riding | river | road | tree | village | walking | woman
- Associated Places:
- Cambridgeshire | England | Nene | Peterborough | Peterborough Cathedral | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by James Walker, 1748–1808, British, Peterborough, 1796
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.