South View of Christ Church, etc. from the Meadows
- Part Of:
- Materials & Techniques:
- Line engraving, engraver's proof (a) on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 15 1/2 × 19 5/8 inches (39.4 × 49.8 cm), Plate: 13 3/4 × 18 3/4 inches (34.9 × 47.6 cm), Image: 12 1/2 × 17 1/2 inches (31.8 × 44.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Engraver's proof (a)-Before the left foreground was darkened, and the shadows of the masts re defined, etc - Before [...]"; lower center: "Christ Church Oscord from the Meadows, 1799". inscribed on verso in graphite, lower right: "Engravers Choice Proof | [...]"
Collector's mark: W. G. Rawlinson (Lugt 2624)
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by William Turner."; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by James Basire."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- barge | cart | college | distant view | landscape | man | meadow | pole | punt | reflection | river | sailboat | ship | spire | tower | university | woman
- Associated Places:
- Christ Church College | England | Oxford | Oxfordshire | Thames | United Kingdom | University of Oxford
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Translations - Turner and Printmaking (Yale Center for British Art, 1993-09-29 - 1993-12-05) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Eric M. Lee, Translations : Turner and printmaking, Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 1993, p. 12, no. 6, NJ18 .T85 L44 1993 (YCBA) [YCBA]