South View of Christ Church, etc., From the Meadows...
- Part Of:
- Materials & Techniques:
- Line engraving , engraver's proof (b) on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 13 1/2 × 17 7/8 inches (34.3 × 45.4 cm), Image: 12 1/2 × 17 1/2 inches (31.8 × 44.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "38"; center right: "18 1/8 + 13 1/8"; lower center: "Engraver's proof (b). Before the figures in the meadow were all made white and before the upper clouds were darkened."; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower right: "Christ Church from the meadows"
Collector's mark: W. G. Rawlinson (Lugt 2624)
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by William Turner."; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by James Basire."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- barge | cart | college | distant view | landscape | man | meadow | pole | punt | river | ship | spire | tower | university | woman
- Associated Places:
- Christ Church College | England | Oxford | Oxfordshire | United Kingdom | University of Oxford
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James Basire the younger, 1769–1822, British, South View of Christ Church, etc., From the Meadows.., 1799
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.