View of Oxford from the South Side of Heddington Hill
- Part Of:
- Materials & Techniques:
- Line engraving, engraver's proof (b) on medium, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 15 1/4 × 22 inches (38.7 × 55.9 cm), Plate: 15 1/4 × 19 3/8 inches (38.7 × 49.2 cm), Image: 12 1/2 × 17 1/2 inches (31.8 × 44.5 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, upper right: "1055 | [...]"; lower right: R 45"
Collector's mark: W. G. Rawlinson (Lugt 2624)
Lettered, lower left: "J.M.W. Turner, R.A. del."; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by James Basire."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bridge | carriage | chain bolt | church | city | clouds | coachman | college | distant view | dome | driving | farming | fence | field | hill | horse (animal) | house | landscape | man | riding | road | tower | tree | university | walking | woman | woods
- Associated Places:
- Chiltern Hills | England | Haddington Hill | Oxford | Oxfordshire | Radcliffe Camera | United Kingdom | University Church of St Mary the Virgin | University of Oxford
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James Basire the younger, 1769–1822, British, View of Oxford from the South Side of Heddington Hill, 1808
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.