IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
James Bruce, 1730–1794, British, Plan of the circular temple at Baalbec, undated
Plan of the circular temple at Baalbec
- Graphite, pen and black and brown ink, gray wash on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 13 1/4 × 11 1/8 inches (33.7 × 28.3 cm), Mount: 15 7/8 × 23 inches (40.3 × 58.4 cm)
Inscribed in pen and black ink, throughout, dimensions given and plan lettered "A" to "D"; in pen and black ink, lower center, scale labeled; in pen and black ink, upper right: "Plan of the Circular Temple at Balbec | The order of this Temple without is | Corinthian & winthin both Corinthian & | Ionic. The Shapes of the Columns as well | without as within are of one piece: | A The Stair | B Cell of the Temple | C Plan of the external Columns & their | Stylobate | D Plan of the Architrave"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.