Plan of the circular temple at Baalbec
- Graphite, pen and black and brown ink, gray wash on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 13 1/4 × 11 1/8 inches (33.7 × 28.3 cm) and Mount: 15 7/8 × 23 inches (40.3 × 58.4 cm)
Inscribed in pen and black ink, throughout, dimensions given and plan lettered "A" to "D"; in pen and black ink, lower center, scale labeled; in pen and black ink, upper right: "Plan of the Circular Temple at Balbec | The order of this Temple without is | Corinthian & winthin both Corinthian & | Ionic. The Shapes of the Columns as well | without as within are of one piece: | A The Stair | B Cell of the Temple | C Plan of the external Columns & their | Stylobate | D Plan of the Architrave"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
James Bruce, 1730–1794, British, Plan of the circular temple at Baalbec, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.