The Mewstone, Entrance of Plymouth Sound
- Line engraving, first published state on thick, moderately textured, cream, laid paper
- Sheet: 14 9/16 × 22 5/16 inches (37 × 56.7 cm), Plate: 8 15/16 × 12 inches (22.7 × 30.5 cm), and Image: 6 5/16 × 9 1/2 inches (16 × 24.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R.97"; inscribed in graphite, lower center: "Elliot | first out [...] proof"
Collector's stamp, lower right: "W.G.R."
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by J.M.W. Turner, Esq. R.A. | The Mew Stone, Entrance of Plymouth Sound"; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by W.B.Cooke1815."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bay (body of water) | island | sound
- Associated Places:
- Devon | England | Europe | Great Mew Stone | Plymouth Sound | United Kingdom | Wembury Bay
- View by request in the Study Room
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Bernard Cooke, 1778–1855, British, The Mewstone, Entrance of Plymouth Sound, 1815
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.