Plymouth, from Mount Batten
- Part Of:
- Materials & Techniques:
- Etching and line engraving on thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 1/2 × 17 1/8 inches (29.2 × 43.5 cm), Plate: 9 × 11 15/16 inches (22.9 × 30.3 cm), Image: 6 7/16 × 9 7/16 inches (16.4 × 24 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R.100."Inscribed in graphite, upper right: "59 | 27"; Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "R.100 The Etching"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "Es H.P.Mellon Coll | [Putier] | 29.[...].21 lot.10"Inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "T3803"
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by J.M.W. Turner, R.A. | Plymouth, from Mount Batten."; lettered, lower right: "Etched by W.B.Cooke 1817."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- churches | citadel | cityscape | marine art | martello tower | sound
- Associated Places:
- Charles Church | Devon | England | Europe | Minster Church of St. Andrew | Mount Batten Tower | Plymouth | Plymouth Sound | The Royal Citadel | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Bernard Cooke, 1778–1855, British, Plymouth, from Mount Batten, 1817
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.