Pendennis Castle and Entrance of Falmouth Harbour
- Part Of:
- 1814 to 1826
- Materials & Techniques:
- Etching and engraving, Engraver's proof on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper, with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 9 × 11 3/4 inches (22.9 × 29.8 cm), Image: 6 1/4 × 9 7/16 inches (15.9 × 24 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R.101 E.P. 6(a). | (Same as Tar. 140.Etched)"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "The Sky darkened - The Pole at the edge of the reef dark"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "& only [...] [....] | [my] glass."; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower center: "sky differs | [...]"
Collector's mark: W. G. Rawlinson (Lugt 2624)
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by J.M.W.Turner, R.A. | Pendennis Castle and entrance of Falmouth Harbour"; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by George Cooke"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bay (body of water) | castle | headland | landscape (representation) | marine art
- Associated Places:
- Carrick Roads | Cornwall | England | Europe | Falmouth | Falmouth Bay | Pendennis Castle | Pennance Point | St. Anthony's Head | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by George Cooke, 1781–1834, British, Pendennis Castle and Entrance of Falmouth Harbour, 1814 to 1826
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.