Dover from Shakespeare's Cliff
- Part Of:
- Materials & Techniques:
- Etching and line engraving; engraver's proof on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 8 5/8 × 11 3/4 inches (21.9 × 29.8 cm), Image: 6 3/8 × 9 5/8 inches (16.2 × 24.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R. 126."; lower left: "R. 126 | no lights in sky E.P. 1(a)."; lower right: "2nd state | [...] sky"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "[...] 28.5.14 | 1/a | June 16 | (11) 7H"
Lettered below image: "Drawn by J.M.W. Turner R.A. | Engraved by George Cooke | Dover"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Associated People:
- Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by George Cooke, 1781–1834, British, Dover from Shakespeare's Cliff, 1826
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.