IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by John Pye, 1782–1874, British, The Rialto, Venice, 1818-1820
The Rialto, Venice
- Part Of:
- Line engraving and etching, engraver's proof, touched on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 11 × 16 9/16 inches (27.9 × 42.1 cm), Plate: 9 × 11 15/16 inches (22.9 × 30.3 cm), Image: 5 5/8 × 8 5/8 inches (14.3 × 21.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "the suggestion made on this proof with [13 or B] [Lear] of [encreaced] [strength] in the reflection of the Rialto in the water | is the work of Turner's pencil. [John] Pye"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "[...] [...] after [...] [Plate]"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower center: "[C or l] [ouer] one"
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by J.M.W.Turner R.A."; lettered, lower right: "Etched by J.Pye."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | bridge | church | cityscape
- Associated Places:
- Europe | Grand Canal | Italy | Ponte di Rialto | San Bartolomeo church | Veneto | Venezia
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.